Monday, January 26, 2009

Homeland Security

As more time goes on and I become more interested in what it means to parent in a humane, sustainable way, the more I find myself turning inward towards my family, my community, my home and myself. This is not to say that I no longer am interested in global issues - indeed, the opposite is the case. But whereas I used to feel like one had to do something BIG to be doing anything worthwhile, I am starting to see more and more how personal action is the true road, at least for most people, toward real and lasting sustainability. There are some people, to be sure, who have a larger role to play. For me, though, I am energized by finding ways to affect the world from my one little corner of it.

A recent post on the No Impact Man blog echoes my recent thoughts on the subject.

The problem is, that when the economic tide goes out, the corporations
shrink and--by a variety of mechanisms including layoffs and plunging stock
prices--so do the benefits our relationships with them offer. Because the
relationship between the corporation and the individual is entirely fiduciary,
loyalty and longstanding relationships don't really factor. A decision at
far-away head office suddenly decimates an entire community.

Meanwhile, because we have invested so much in the relationships
with corporations, the other relationships [with family, friends,
religion, the needy or government] are weakened, which means that they
can't provide sustenance when the corporate bond breaks. Why would neighbors
help neighbors when they barely even know each other?

So what if, instead of investing government money only in corporations
to bolster that bond, President Obama also invested in strengthening local
community and familial relationships? Suppose he invested in local farming and
local business and general strengthening of bonds between people at the
proximate level?

If he did that, when the crises came, and the corporations shrunk,
wouldn't that mean that we might have the relationship with family, friends and
local business that allowed us to rely on each other? Wouldn't that mean, too,
that even if the boom money went away, we would still have the enduring
satisfaction and support of a strong community?

I often think that the key to the sustainability of the planet as well as each person and family is learning to live close to home in all facets of our lives. I am gratified to think about the ways in which I have become, and continue to become, more self-sufficient. I also am grateful for the community that I have been able to build with family and friends, and I know that in tough times we will continue to support each other, share our resources, and make things work. I'm not sure if this is anti-globalism, or anti-capitalism, but it is definitely pro-family, pro-community, and pro-love!

No comments: